The full form of the SSC CHSL is Staff Selection Commission Combined Higher Secondary Level. This exam is conducted to recruit candidates for the posts of Data Entry Operators, Assistants, and Court Clerks in various Ministries/Departments of the Government of India. The SSC CHSL exam is held in 3 stages called Tiers. This exam is a great opportunity for anyone looking to work in the central government. In this article, we shall see all important information related to SSC CHSL 2021 Recruitment exam such as Exam Date, Eligibility criteria, Syllabus, Application Fee, Apply Online, Exam Pattern, Vacancy, Salary, Job profile, etc.
SSC CHSL Posts
The SSC CHSL exam is a great opportunity for anyone who is looking to work in the central government. SSC conducts the CHSL exam for recruitment to the various posts of the Central Government as below :
- Postal Assistants/Sorting Assistants(PA/SA)
- Data Entry Operator (DEO)
- Lower Divisional Clerk (LDC)
- Court Clerk
SSC CHSL Exam Postponed
Due to the surge in COVID-19 cases across the country, the Staff Selection Commission has decided to defer the SSC CHSL Tier-1 examination from 20th April 2021 until further notice. The New dates for the Tier I examination for the remaining candidates will be intimated.
SSC CHSL 2021 Notification
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) has released the Official Notification for SSC CHSL 2020-21 exam for the post of Lower Divisional Clerk (LDC)/ Junior Secretariat Assistant (JSA), Postal Assistant/ Sorting Assistant (PA/SA), and Data Entry Operator(DEO) on 6th November 2020.
SSC CHSL Exam Date 2021
The tentative exam schedule for the SSC CHSL 2021 exam has been published by SSC in its Official exam Calendar. The SSC CHSL Tier-1 computer-based online exam will be conducted from 12th to 27th April and 21st to 22nd May 2021 (only for candidates who have opted for examination centres in West Bengal). The Tier-2 exam date will be released later. Please note down the important dates related to SSC CHSL 2021 Exam:
|SSC CHSL Notification||6th November 2020|
|SSC CHSL Registration Process||6th November – 26th December 2020|
|SSC CHSL Tier-1 Admit Card Release||27th March 2021|
|SSC CHSL Exam Date 2021 (Tier-1)||12th April to 27th April 2021
Postponed for Candidates scheduled after 20th April 2021
|SSC CHSL Exam Date 2021 (Tier-2)||To be notified soon|
SSC CHSL 2020-21 Vacancy
The total number of vacancies for the SSC CHSL 2021 exam has not been released yet. Last Year, SSC had notified 4893 vacancies to be filled through CHSL exam. The Post wise vacancy are mentioned below:
SSC CHSL 2019-20 Vacancy
|Postal Assistant/ Sorting Assistant||3598|
SSC CHSL 2020-21 Eligibility Criteria
A candidate must be either:
(a) a citizen of India, or
(b) a subject of Nepal, or
(c) a subject of Bhutan, or
(d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India, before the 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
(e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania(Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
The age limit for the posts is 18-27 years as on 01-01-2021 (i.e. Candidates born not before 01-01-1994 and not later than 01-01-2003). Permissible relaxation in the upper age limit for different categories are as below:
Age Relaxation :
|Code No.||Category||Permissible age relaxation|
|01||SC/ ST||5 years|
|03||Persons with Disabilities (PwD)||10 years|
|04||PwD + OBC||13 years|
|05||PwD + SC/ ST||15 years|
|09||Ex-Servicemen||03 years after deduction of the military service rendered from the actual age as on the closing date.|
For LDC/ JSA, PA/ SA, DEO (except DEOs in C&AG): The candidates who are planning to appear in CHSL 2021 exam must have passed the 12th Standard or equivalent examination from a recognized Board or University.
For Data Entry Operator (DEO) in the Office of Comptroller and Auditor General of India (C&AG): 12th Standard pass in Science stream with Mathematics as a subject from a recognized Board or equivalent.
SSC CHSL 2020-21 Exam Pattern
The SSC CHSL exam for various posts is going to be in three levels or Tiers from 2020. Below are the details.
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer-Based (online)|
|Tier – II||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Pen and Paper mode|
|Tier – III||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever Applicable|
SSC has made some modifications to the SSC CHSL exam pattern. Below are those modifications:
- SSC CHSL 2021 Tier 1 exam will be conducted in online mode.
- Reduction in the time limit for examination of Tier -I from 75 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Introduction of a descriptive paper of 100 marks within 60 minutes in pen and paper mode.
- There is no change in Tier III.
- There will be no Sectional Cut off.
SSC CHSL Syllabus
Tier 1 Syllabus
English Language: Spot the Error, Fill in the Blanks, Synonyms/ Homonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/ Detecting misspelled words, Idioms & Phrases, One-word substitution, Improvement of Sentences, Active/ Passive Voice of Verbs, Conversion into Direct/ Indirect narration, Shuffling of Sentence parts, Shuffling of Sentences in a passage, Cloze Passage, Comprehension Passage.
General Intelligence: It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal types. The test will include questions on Semantic Analogy, Symbolic operations, Symbolic/ Number Analogy, Trends, Figural Analogy, Space Orientation, Semantic Classification, Venn Diagrams, Symbolic/ Number Classification, Drawing inferences, Figural Classification, Punched hole/ pattern folding & unfolding, Semantic Series, Figural Pattern-folding and completion, Number Series, Embedded figures, Figural Series, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Emotional Intelligence, Word Building, Social Intelligence, Coding and de-coding, Other sub-topics, if any Numerical operations.
- Number Systems: Computation of Whole Number, Decimal and Fractions, Relationship between numbers.
- Fundamental arithmetical operations: Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Allegation, Time and distance, Time and work.
- Algebra: Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra and Elementary surds (simple problems) and Graphs of Linear Equations.
- Geometry: Familiarity with elementary geometric figures and facts: Triangle and its various kinds of centres, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles.
- Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square Base.
- Trigonometry: Trigonometry, Trigonometric ratios, Complementary angles, Height and distances (simple problems only) Standard Identities like sin2 𝜃 + Cos2 𝜃=1 etc.,
- Statistical Charts: Use of Tables and Graphs: Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar-diagram, Pie-chart.
General Awareness: Questions are designed to test the candidate‟s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General policy, and scientific research.
Tier 2 Exam Syllabus
This Tier II is a descriptive exam that is designed to test the written skills of the candidates in English/Hindi. The key things in this Tier II exam are :
- Essay Writing (200 – 250 words)
- Letter / Application Writing (150 – 200 words)
- The duration of the Tier II exam is 60 Minutes. It is 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped or suffering from Cerebral Palsy.
- The Tier II exam is for 100 marks. It is important to note that the marks obtained in this stage are incorporated in preparing the final merit list.
- All Candidates should get a minimum of 33% marks to qualify for the Tier II exam.
- The level of questions is of the 10th standard or higher secondary level.
Tier 3 Exam Syllabus
The Tier 3 of the SSC CGL Exam 2019 has skill tests that are required for certain government posts.
Skill Test for Data Entry Operator(DEO):
- Typing speed for the Data Entry operator is 8,000 (eight thousand) with Key Depressions per hour on Computer.
- The test will be of 15 minutes duration
Typing Test for Postal Assistant / Sorting Assistant LDCs and Court Clerks:
- Typing Test will be held in English or Hindi as per the candidate’s preference of test medium that is opted in the Application form.
- The Typing Test is qualifying in nature.
- Candidates who opt for English medium should possess a typing speed of 35 words per minute.
- Candidates who opt for Hindi medium should have a typing speed of 30 words per minute.
- The speed is decided based on the accuracy of typing a given text passage on the Computer in 10 minutes.
- Visually Handicapped candidates (with 40% disability and above) will be given 30 minutes time to type the passage.
SSC CHSL 2020-21 Salary
|Post Name||In-Hand Salary|
|Lower Division Clerk||18,777 – 22,411|
|Data Entry Operator||25,165 – 31,045|
|Postal Assistant/SA||25,165 – 31,045|
|Court Clerk||18,777 – 22,411|
SSC CHSL Salary – Grade Pay Details
|Post Name||Pay Band||Grade Pay||Gross Salary|
|LDC||PB -1 (5200 – 20200)||1900||22,392 – 26,026|
|DEO||PB -1 (5200 – 20200)||2400||29,340 – 35,220|
|Court Clerk||PB -1 (5200 – 20200)||1900||22,392 – 26,026|
|PA/SA||PB -1 (5200 – 20200)||2400||29,340 – 25,220|
SSC CHSL Salary after 7th pay commission
SSC has modified the SSC CHSL Salary for all the Posts after the Seventh Pay Commission in the 2017 year. SSC CHSL Salary structure after the implementation of the 7th Pay Commission is given below.
|Post Name||Basic Pay||HRA||TA||Gross Salary||In Hand||City|
SSC CHSL 2021 Online Application
Below is the step by step process that you can follow to apply for the SSC CHSL exam online:
- Log in to the Official website of SSC
- Register as a new user at the website, which can be created by using a valid email ID and phone number. You will get the OTP for the required ID you want to generate for the SSC portal.
- After you click on the Apply button, you will get the application form.
- Fill in all the relevant details asked in the application form
- Upload scanned copies of your recent passport size photograph, signature, and thumb impression.
- Pay the application fee online or through a Challan which will be generated after you have filled in the required application for SSC CHSL 2020-21 Exam.
- Then click on the Submit button after cross-checking the details or else you will not be able to make any changes afterward.
- Download the duly filled-in application form and take a printout for future reference.
SSC CHSL 2020-21 Application Fee
All candidates have to pay an application fee in order to appear for the SSC CHSL Exam. The general and OBC candidates have to pay a fee of Rs 100. SC/ST/PH/Female candidates do not have to pay any fee to appear in the exam.
Applications fee should be paid only through SBI either in the form of challan or through SBI Net Banking or any other bank Credit/Debit Card. In case of payment in the form of Challan, the challan form will be generated online and the candidate needs to deposit cash along with the challan in any of the SBI bank branches.
|SSC CHSL 2021 Application Fee|
|For General /OBC candidates||Rs.100/-|
|For SC/ST/PH candidates||Nill|
|For Female candidates||Nill|