The RRB Group D exam 2021 is conducted by the Railway Recruitment Cell (RRC). RRC is a recruitment body under the Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) that is responsible for conducting exams to select candidates for various posts in in the Indian Railways. In this article, we shall see all important information related to RRB Group D exam such as Exam Date, Eligibility criteria, Syllabus, Application Fee, Apply Online, Exam Pattern, Vacancy, Salary, Job profile, etc.
RRB Group D Exam 2021 Highlights
RRB Group D exam is a good opportunity for 10th class passed candidates who want to join Indian Railways. The last Official RRB Group D Exam recruitment happened in 2019 for more than 1 lakh posts. Over 1.25 crore candidates applied. Below are the RRB Group D exam highlights:
|RRB Group D Exam Highlights||RRB Group D Exam Details|
|Full Form of RRB||Railway Recruitment Board|
|Full Form of RRC||Railway Recruitment Cell|
|Number of Vacancies in 2019 Notification||103769|
|Eligibility Criteria||Secondary (class 10th) Passed/ ITI Passed|
|Number of Stages in Selection Process||4 Stages (CBT, PET, DV, Medical Test)|
|RRB Group D Posts and their Department||Electrical: Assistant Loco Shed, Assistant Operations, Assistant TL & AC, Assistant TL & AC (Workshop), Assistant TRD|
|Engineering: Assistant Bridge, Assistant Track Machine, Assistant Works, Assistant Engineering|
|Mechanical: Assistant (Workshop), Assistant C&W, Assistant Loco Shed (Diesel)|
|Medical: Hospital Assistant|
|Stores: Assistant Depot|
|Signal & Telecom: Assistant|
|Traffic: Assistant Pointsman|
|Type of Posts in RRB Group D||Non-gazetted posts as per Level 1 of 7th CPC|
RRB Group D 2021 Exam Dates
The RRB 2021 notification is not yet released as it was delayed to the COVID19 pandemic situation. The exam dates will be released in the official notification. Below are the RRB Group D 2019 exam dates for your reference.
|RRB Group D Exam Events||Dates|
|Application Start Date||12.03.2019|
|Last Date to Apply Online||12.04.2019|
|Last Date for Fee Payment||23.04.2019|
|RRB Group D Admit Card Download||10 Days Before the exam|
RRB Group D Eligibility Criteria 2021
- Minimum Age: 18 years
- Maximum Age: 33 Years
Age limit Relaxation
Indian Railway has mentioned relaxation in Upper Age Limit for various categories. Check below the age relaxation of various categories:
|PWD OBC||13 years|
|PWD SC/ST||15 years|
- 10th Pass from Institution recognized by NCVT/SCVT or equivalent or National Apprenticeship Certificate (NAC) granted by NCVT (As per the latest IR notification, ITI has become non-mandatory for Group D recruitment)
- 10th Pass plus National Apprenticeship (NAC) granted by NCVT or 10th Pass from Institution recognized by NCVT/SCVT
RRB Group D Vacancies 2021
The Total number of vacancies released in RRB Group D 2019 notification is 103769. Below is the category wise list of RRB Group D Vacancies:
RRB Group D Selection Process & Exam Pattern
The RRB Group D Selection process consists of the following stages:
- Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Physical Efficiency Test (PET)
- Document Verification and Medical Examination
RRC Group D Exam Pattern 2021 – (CBT) Computer Based Test
Based on the performance of candidates in the Computer Based Test(CBT), they would be required to go for the PET/Document Verification. The pattern of Computer Based Test (CBT) examination is as below:
|Subjects||No. Of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|General Science||25||25||90 Minutes|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||30||30|
|General Awareness On Current Affairs||20||20|
- There is negative marking and 1/3 marks shall be deducted for each wrong answer.
- The examination duration will be 120 Minutes for eligible PwBD candidates accompanied by Scribe.
- Minimum percentage of marks for eligibility in various categories: UR-40%, EWS-40%, OBC(Non creamy layer)-30%, SC-30%, ST-30%. This percentage of marks for eligibility may be relaxed by 2% for PwBD candidates in case of a shortage of PwBD candidates against vacancies reserved for them.
Physical Efficiency Test (PET)
Based on the merit of the candidates in the CBT, candidates shall be called for PET.
The total number of people called for PET is three times the community-wise total vacancy of the Posts notified against RRBs/RRCs.
|Male candidates||Female candidates|
|Should be able to lift and carry 35 Kg of weight for a distance of 100 metres in 2 minutes in one chance without putting the weight down ; and
Should be able to run for a distance of 1000 metres in 4 minutes and 15 seconds in one chance.
|Should be able to lift and carry 20 Kg of weight for a distance of 100 metres in 2 minutes in one chance without putting the weight down; and
Should be able to run for a distance of 1000 metres in 5 minutes and 40 seconds in one chance.
PET is a qualifying test and NO Marks are awarded.
Based on the performance of candidates in CBT subject to their qualifying in PET, candidates twice the number of vacancies will be called for Document Verification as per their merit and options. Candidates successful are sent for Medical Examination.
Appointment of selected candidates is subject to their passing requisite Medical Fitness Test to be conducted by the Railway Administration, final verification of educational and community certificates, and verification of antecedents/character of the candidates.
RRB Group D Salary
The RRB Group D salary structure is as follows:
|Salary Components||RRB Group D Salary Amount|
|Basic Pay||Rs. 18,000/-|
|DA (12% of Basic Pay)||Rs. 2,160|
|HRA (24% of Basic Pay)||Rs. 4,320|
|TA (Rs. 3,600 + 12% DA on TA)||Rs. 4,032|
|Gross Salary||Rs. 28,512|
Apart from these, there are deductions such as NPS, Professional Tax, CGIS, Income Tax, etc. The Net in-hand salary of RRB Group D employees after all deductions stands between Rs. 26,000 to Rs. 27,000 approximately.
The selected candidates are assigned fieldwork like maintenance of tracks, railway coaches, departments, stores, taking care of the locomotives, etc. Group D employees are eligible for promotion to Group-C after completion of 3 years of regular employment. Such promotions are based on departmental examinations.
RRB Group D Syllabus
The RRB Group D syllabus is divided into 4 sections viz.,
- General Science
- General Intelligence and Reasoning, and
- General Awareness and Current Affairs
The RRB Group D 2021 latest syllabus is mentioned in the below table.
|General Science||Physics, Chemistry, and Biology of 10th standard level (CBSE).|
|Mathematics||Number system, BODMAS, Decimals, Fractions, LCM, HCF, Ratio and Proportion, Percentages, Mensuration, Time and Work, Time and Distance, Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry, Elementary Statistics, Square root, Age Calculations, Calendar & Clock, Pipes & Cistern, etc.|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||Analogies, Alphabetical and Number Series, Coding and Decoding, Mathematical operations, Relationships, Syllogism, Jumbling, Venn Diagram, Data Interpretation and Sufficiency, Conclusions and Decision making, Similarities, and Differences, Analytical Reasoning, Classification, Directions, Statement – Arguments and Assumptions, etc.|
|General Awareness and Current Affairs||Science & Technology, Sports, Culture, Personalities, Economics, Politics and any other subject of importance.|
RRB Group D Exam Fee 2021
|For all candidates except the fee concession categories
Out of this fee of Rs 500, an amount of Rs 400 shall be refunded in due course duly deducting bank charges as applicable on appearing in CBT.
|For PwBD / Female /Transgender/ Ex-Servicemen candidates and candidates belonging to SC/ST/Minority Communities/ Economically Backward Class.
*This fee of Rs 250 shall be refunded in due course duly deducting bank charges as applicable on appearing in CBT.
Exam Fee Payment mode:
- ONLINE fee payment through internet banking or debit/credit card or UPI.
- OFFLINE fee payment through
- SBI Challan Payment mode in any branch of SBI.
- Post Office Challan Payment mode in any branch of computerized Post Office.
RRB Group D Application Process 2021
Candidates can apply for in online mode only. It is advised to all the candidates to read the official notification carefully before starting to fill up the application.
The step-by-step instructions for RRB Group D online application process are as follows:
- New Registration: Select the RRB which you wish to apply for and click on “New Registration”. The RRB once selected cannot be changed after the Registration Number is allotted.
- Registration Details: Enter your name, Date of Birth and Father’s Name, Mother’s Name, Aadhaar Number, Secondary (class 10th) Registration Number, Year of Passing, Mobile Number, and Email-Id and then submit. After verification of mobile number and password through OTP; Registration number will be displayed on screen.
- Application Process Part-I: Candidates need to provide the details of Educational Qualification, Community, Gender, Religion, Ex-SM, Minority, EWS, and other details as applicable.
- Application Process Part-II: The candidate has to indicate his/her priority/preference of the posts.
- Payment and Bank Account Details: On completion of the above application process the candidates will be directed to the payment page. Application fee payment can be done online as well as offline mode.
|Category||Application Fee||Application Fee Amount to be Refunded after CBT|
|General (UR)||Rs. 500/-||Rs. 400/-|
|PwBD / Female /Transgender/ Ex-Servicemen candidates and candidates belonging to SC/ST/Minority Communities/ Economically Backward Class.||Rs. 250/-||Rs. 250/- (deducting bank charges)|
- Exam Language and Other Details: Select the language of RRB Group D exam 2021. However English is the default language. Fill in other details like Mother Tongue, Identification Marks, Permanent Address, etc.
- Photo Id Proof: Candidates will have to fill in the details of a valid Photo ID card in the application which they will have to bring in as proof during CBT, PET, DV, Medical, or any subsequent stages of the exam.
- Bank Account Details for Application Fee Refund: Candidates who have appeared in CBT will be eligible for an application fee refund. Candidates will get a refund of the application fee in the same account through which they have made the payment. Those candidates who do not wish to receive the refund in the account through which payment is done or those who paid their application fee through challan; must furnish the beneficiary account details in the online application form.
- Photograph/ Signature and Caste Certificate Upload: The photograph must have been taken on or after January 1, 2019. The size of the photograph must range between 20 KB to 50 KB whereas the signature must range between 10 KB to 40 KB. Candidates belonging to SC/ST communities will have to upload scanned copies (50 KB to 100 KB) of their caste certificate to avail of a free Railway Travelling Pass during the RRB Group D exam.
- Final Submit: After confirming the declaration candidates can submit their application and download a PDF copy of the submitted application for future reference.
RRB Group D Admit Card 2021
The dates of release of RRB Group D admit cards have not been announced yet. RRB Group D admit card can be downloaded 4 days before the exam. Candidates can check for exam city, exam date, exam shift, and exam time 10 days before the conduct of the exam.
Below is a step-by-step guide to download the RRB Group D admit card/ hall ticket:
- Visit the official websites of your selected RRB.
- On the home page, click the link “Downloading of the e-call letter, city intimation slip and free traveling authority for SC/ST candidates”.
- Candidates will be redirected to the login page. The following page will appear.
- Enter Registration Number and Password
- RRB Group D 2021 admit card appears on the screen
- Download the Railway Group D admit card PDF file and take a printout (colour preferably).
RRB Group D 2021 Result
RRB Group D results are declared separately by different RRBs on their respective websites. They are generally announced 3-4 months after the exam.
The qualifying marks for UR/ EWS/ OBC/ SC/ ST category candidates are 40/ 40/ 30/ 30/ 30 respectively. There is 2% relaxation for PWD candidates. Candidates scoring marks lower than the above-mentioned qualifying marks are summarily rejected.
Apart from these, the candidates can also view their scorecards for a specific period through the window provided. RRB Group D scorecard contains the raw score, pro-rata score, normalized score, along with other details of the candidates.
RRB Group D Cutoff 2021
The list of candidates shortlisted for PET will be based on the performance of candidates in the CBT exam. The candidates scoring marks equivalent to or more than the minimum RRB Group D cutoff score will be called for the further selection process.
RRB Group D cutoff 2021 will be released after the exam is conducted. Aspirants can have a fair knowledge of the competition level based on previous years’ cutoff trends. Based on this, aspirants can prepare accordingly so that they can score at least 10-15 marks above the previous year’s cutoff score. Below are the cut-off marks in the previous recruitment.
|RRB Zone||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Ahmedabad||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Allahabad||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Bhubaneshwar||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Bhopal||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Bengaluru||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Bilaspur||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Chennai||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Chandigarh||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Guwahati||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Gorakhpur||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Kolkata||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Mumbai||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Patna||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Ranchi||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|
|Secunderabad||Type of Applicants||UR||OBC||SC||ST|