In India, security detail is provided to some high-risk individuals and dignitaries by the government. Depending on the threat perception to the person, as assessed by the Intelligence Bureau (IB), the security detail is arranged. that is provided is divided into the following categories: SPG, Z+ (highest level), Z, Y, and X. In this article we shall look in detail into the various security categories in India and who all are covered under this security and why they are getting this special security apart from other citizens, and other related details.
The SPG (Special Protection Group), NSG (National Security Guards), ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police), CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force), and CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) are the agencies responsible for providing securities to VVIPs, VIPs, politicians, high-profile celebrities and sportspersons. The NSG is used extensively to guard VIPs and VVIPs, especially those in the Z+ category. Many NSG personnel is seconded to the Special Protection Group (SPG) which guards the Prime Minister.
Security Categories in India
The different security categories are as follows :
- Z +
SPG (Special Protection Group) SECURITY
- This is considered to be the most elite category of security that is provided in India.
- SPG provides proximate security to the Prime Minister of India and former Prime Ministers of India and members of their immediate families wherever they are.
- The details of the security cover such as the number of personnel, vehicles, equipment, etc are classified.
Z+ SECURITY in India
- Z+ category of security offers a security cover of 55 personnel, including 10+ NSG Commandos & Police officers.
- All NSG commandos are experts in martial arts and unarmed combat. They are allowed to use sophisticated MP5 guns and various gadgets for communication.
- Less than 20 VIPs in the country are getting the Z+ security.
- The list includes Amit Shah, Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi, Rajnath Singh, Yogi Adityanath, Chandrababu Naidu, Mukesh Ambani, etc.
Z SECURITY in India
- Z category offers a security cover of 22 personnel, including 4 to 5 NSG Commandos & Police officers.
- Security is provided by the ITBP or CRPF personnel with one escort car.
Y SECURITY in India
- Y category has a security cover of 11 personnel, including 1 or 2 Commandos & Police officers.
- It also offers two Personal Security Officers (PSOs).
- There are many people who get coverage under this category.
X SECURITY in India
- This is the last level of security.
- X category has a security cover of 2 police personnel, and there will not be any Commando.
- It is provided by one PSO (personal security officer).
Below are some cases where the protectee was killed in spite of the strong security provided by the Security agencies:
- Mr. Rajbir Singh, a famous encounter specialist was killed despite Z security.
- Mr. Pramod Mahajan, he was the former union minister was shot dead by his brother
- Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by a member of her own security detail.
- Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was killed in a suicide bomb blast.